Housing Requests

New Students

New incoming students will be asked to indicate their preferred first-year residence hall (Trowbridge, Hoben, or Harmon) and room-type (single-, double-, quad-occupancy) on their housing application. While Residential Life staff will do their best to accommodate preferences, these cannot be guaranteed.

Students may request specific roommates, and we will do the best we can to accommodate roommate requests as long as the requests are mutual. Students may not request specific neighbors.

Upperclass Students

Upperclass students (i.e. rising juniors and rising seniors) wanting to live on campus for the following academic year are invited to participate in the annual Fall Housing Selection Process during the Spring Term. Since upperclass students are not required to live on campus, they will be accommodated after rising sophomore fall housing selection has taken place and spaces may be limited.

If a rising junior or rising senior student’s intention is to live off-campus, then they need not communicate with Residential Life regarding those plans.

Return from Study Away/Abroad

Students who will be participating in a study away/abroad program during the upcoming Fall Term are not eligible to participate in the Fall Housing Selection Process in the Spring or have spaces held for them. Instead, they must request housing using the appropriate form. Requests received will be accommodated on a first-come, first-served basis based on available space.

Housing assignments will be made and communicated to students mid-Fall Term and mid-Winter Term for students returning for Winter and Spring Terms respectively. Residential Life will do everything it can to accommodate as many students and will be as communicative as possible during students’ time away. Please monitor the Winter/Spring Housing Requests page for the most up to date on-campus housing availability.

Any sophomores participating in Study Away/Abroad programs are guaranteed housing upon their return and should communicate their intentions/requests with Residential Life before leaving for these programs.

Off-Campus College Owned Rentals

The nearby off-campus rental houses owned by the College are not managed by the Office of Residential Life. Students who are interested in living in them will need to consult Facilities Management. Information is available on their website.


If you are seeking housing at an off time or have additional questions regarding policies and processes, you are encouraged to e-mail reslife@kzoo.edu.